Frequently Asked Questions

List of answers
1. How old do I have to be to rent a car?

The drivers are required to be at least 25 years old.

2. What documents do I need to rent a car?

You will need a valid physical full driver's licence, and a credit card in your name for payment and security purposes.


Please note that a screenshot or photograph of the driver licence is not acceptable.

You should always carry your physical driver licence when travelling.

3. Can I rent a car with a debit card?

No, you cannot.

4. What insurance options are available when renting a car?

Range of insurance options are available with various access options.

5. Can I add an additional driver to the rental agreement?

Yes, you can. Any additional driver(s) must hold a valid physical full driver's licence.

6. What is the fuel policy?

Full-to-full policy. With a full-to-full policy, you receive the car with a full tank of gas and are expected to return it in the same condition.

7. Are there any mileage restrictions?

Unlimited kilometres are included in your hire.

8. What happens if the car gets damaged during the rental period?

If the rental car sustains damage during the rental period, you should immediately report it to us. We will provide instructions on how to proceed, which may involve filling out an accident report and contacting your insurance provider. The cost of repairs may be covered by insurance or charged to you, depending on the circumstances.

9. What should I do if the car breaks down?
Breakdown Procedure
All of our vehicles are covered by the 24-hour roadside assistance scheme for any mechanical breakdowns. In the event that you need roadside assistance, please contact:
Free phone: 0800 252 223
You will be asked for the car registration number.
Please Note: For any roadside assistance call-outs that are not related to mechanical faults of the vehicle, that include (but are not limited to) refueling low petrol tank or empty tank level, jump-starting the vehicle, lost keys or keys locked in the vehicle, a service surcharge fee will be charged unless otherwise stated by Brilliant Rentals.
The emergency services (Police, Ambulance, Fire Service) number in New Zealand is 111.
10. What should I do if an accident happens?
Accident Reporting Procedure
In the event of an accident or damage to the rental vehicle, please do the following:
Notify the police if the accident involves injury.
Contact us on 0800 566 888 or +64 3 365 3889 to notify the accident as soon as possible.
Please Note: As the renter, you are liable for the excess regardless of whether you are 'at fault' or not. The excess liability may vary depending on the vehicle. 
Driver Name
Vehicle registration number
Telephone number
Mobile number
Email address
Insurance company
Make / Model / Year
Please take photos of damaged vehicles and the accident site. This will help us verify the damage and circumstances to assist us with any claim.
The emergency services (Police, Ambulance, Fire Service) number in New Zealand is 111.
11. Can I rent a car one-way?

Yes, but there is a surcharge.